ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Utilities team is growing! If you are an independent, enthusiastic, and driven professional searching for an opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The Civil Foreman is located in Calgary, Alberta and typically reports directly to the Project Manager.
Based in Calgary, the Civil Foreman will plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate utility construction projects from start to finish according to schedule, specifications and budget. They are responsible for reporting, estimating, and monitoring progress as well as planning, scheduling, and dealing with project change. They will liaise with tradespersons, coordinators, managers, and site superintendent personnel in order to accomplish project milestones in a safe, efficient, and effective manner.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of workers who install, repair and maintain the Calgary Ring Road.
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other departments or subcontractors.
- Request supplies, materials, and labour in accordance with project requirements.
- Resolve areas of improvement and recommend work measures to improve productivity.
- Train or arrange for training of workers.
- Recommend personnel actions such as hiring and promotions.
- Ensure standards for safe working conditions are observed.
- Prepare work progress reports.
- May also supervise, co-ordinate and schedule the activities of related apprentices, helpers and labourers.
- Perform other activities at construction sites, as directed.
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Values and Respects Others
- Coaches and Develops
- High School diploma
- Class 3 License with Airbrakes, Class 1 is preferred (DL and CSTS).
The following certifications/designations are considered an asset
- Ground Disturbance Certification
- Fall Arrest
- First Aid
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Experience as a qualified Civil Foreman on utility construction projects is required (at least 5 years).
- Overhead sign experience is a must (at least 5 years).
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Intermediate knowledge and understanding of:
- Construction scheduling, planning, and execution
- Applicable local and provincial labour codes
- Managing / leading union and nonunion staff
- Organization and time management
- A drug and alcohol test is required
Apply to this Career Opportunity or explore all opportunities at Black & McDonald!
If you are an existing Black & McDonald employee, please notify your supervisor
of your interest and intent to apply before applying.