ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Utilities team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
Based in Calgary, the Labourer is responsible for performing general labour activities on utility (electrical and civil) construction sites. They will liaise with tradespersons, coordinators, managers, and site superintendent personnel in order to accomplish project milestones in a safe, efficient, and effective manner. Black and McDonald is currently looking for two Labourers.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Load and unload construction materials, and move materials to work areas.
- Erect and dismantle concrete forms, scaffolding, ramps, catwalks, shoring and barricades required at construction sites.
- Mix, pour and spread materials such as concrete.
- Assist tradespersons as required.
- Assist heavy equipment operators to secure special attachments to equipment, signal operators to guide them in moving equipment and provide assistance in other activities.
- Assist in aligning pipes and mechanical devices / support systems.
- Level earth to fine grade specifications using rake and shovel.
- Remove rubble and other debris at construction sites using rakes, shovels, wheelbarrows and other equipment.
- Operate pneumatic hammers, vibrators and tampers as directed.
- Tend or feed machines or equipment used in construction such as mixers, compressors and pumps.
- Clean up chemical spills and other contaminants (as trained).
- Oil and grease hoists, mobile equipment.
- Direct traffic at or near construction sites.
- Perform other activities at construction sites, as directed.
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Values and Respects Others
- Coaches and Develops
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 2-5 years’ experience working in the construction industry in a General Labourer role, on utilities (electrical/civil) projects.
- Ground Disturbance Experience (At least 5 years)
- And/Or Concrete Experience (At least 5 years)
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Class 1 (or 3) Driver’s License with air brakes
- Experience reading and interpreting locate drawings, and calling in locates is considered an asset.
- Construction Safety Certifications including the following are considered assets.
- Ground Disturbance Certification
- Confined Space Awareness/Rescue
- Fall Arrest
- First Aid
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.