Project Solutions Manager – Center for Construction / Utility Delivery
Based in GTA, primary office in Markham or Scarborough
20-30% travel required, Canada-wide.
Formally titled in Black & McDonald (B&M) as Project Solutions Manager - Centre for Consturction / Utility Delivery, this position is a key contributor to the development and deployment of project management strategic initiatives aimed to enhance and support Black & McDonald Limited’s Construction and Utilities business lines.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Special Projects, and providing value-add thought, leadership and advice from the Construction & Utility Projects Steering Committee, this position will focus on principles of continuous improvement and sharing of best practices to disseminate, train, and coach on practical solutions and technological solutions that regional Construction and Utility operations and business leaders will utilize and adopt in their regional project management practices.
This position will act as a resource for regional Construction & Utility Project Managers and their business teams in planning, launching, setting up, verifying, and successfully completing projects. This position prefaces all project management recommendations with Occupational Health & Safety standards and best practices at the forefront, while keeping project cost, quality and time constraints top of mind.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understands, encourages, and supports the promotion of the Code of Business for B&M and contributes to culture of continuous improvement through the provision of training, lessons learned and advice to regional operations and project leaders in the construction and utility business lines.
- Emanates best practices from the B&M National Projects Management Manual (NPMM) to enhance the operational effectiveness of construction and utility projects.
- Influences a culture which advocates health, safety, quality assurance and social procurement and environment policies and programs.
- Collaborates on the development and deployment of corporate level initiatives aimed to benefit regional operations.
- Establishes and maintains excellent relationships with all stakeholders within B&M and its affiliates.
- Promotes the implementation of Procore and associated business processes.
- Supports the development and implementation of National Projects Supervisory Manual (NPSM) to enhance the knowledge, skills and abilities of supervisors and forepersons.
- Provides timely and accurate subject matter coaching expertise to regional leaders and project managers in areas of construction and utilities project management so they may be successful, including but not limited to:
- Project execution in accordance with contract specifications, corporate policies, and business processes
- Cost, schedule, quality, safety, and contract performance
- Project objectives, policies, procedures, and performance standards as per company policy and contract specifications
- Monitoring and reporting on progress, labour productivity, work outcomes, budget, cost, and forecast.
- Support for Regional operations in project estimating and negotiating.
- Support the regional review of contracts & WIP for areas of risk.
Skills and Experience:
- Ideally 10+ years’ experience within the construction industry, including experience as a project manager that included actioning construction claims, estimating, business development, project completion and enhanced client repeat business.
- Hands-on site project management from initiation to commissioning and handover.
- Experience in construction management software, preferably Procore
- Degree or Diploma in one or several fields of Estimating, Project Management, Construction Engineering & Technology, Construction Management
- One or more of the following certificates would be considered an asset: PMP designation, Gold Seal Certification, Construction safety certifications and/or MBA.
Work Environment and Physical Requirement:
- Frequent computer work
- Working from an office facility & with other members of the Projects Team
- Mix of traditional office setting and construction site-based work.
- 20 - 30 % Travel to Regions (across Canada & USA)