ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Southern Ontario Utilities team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The Civil Estimator is located in Scarborough, Ontario and typically reports directly to the Centralized Estimating Southern Utility Region Estimating Manager. The successful candidate will prepare civil and structural estimates and work on tenders from receipt of RFP to project handover on substation, utility and renewable type (wind, solar, battery energy storage, etc.) projects. He/she may also provide technical support to project operations, with emphasis on estimating and handling project changes.
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform quantity take-offs for civil and structural scope items on RFP tenders
- Prepare estimates using Bid2Win estimating software on renewable energy (i.e. wind, solar, battery energy storage, etc.) and substation utility projects including civil works, excavation, foundations, manholes, duct banks, granular roads, etc.
- Estimates costs of materials, labour and equipment required for projects based on drawings and specifications
- Establishes and maintains tendering process, sets up cost monitoring, reporting systems and procedures
- Prepares RFQ packages to include proper scope of works, specifications, milestone dates, relevant references and terms and conditions for each type of trades/discipline to be sent out to at least three (3) sub-contractors.
- Follow up, and prepare appropriate responses/answers to clarification questions that maybe asked by Subcontractors during the tendering process.
- Review, evaluate and prepare comparison of quotes received from prospective Subcontractors and recommend the best and most responsive bid that must be carried into the final bid.
- Coordinates price packages with suppliers, subcontractors, and owners regarding tenders
- Participates in site review, tender review, tender hand-off, and project closing meetings, as required
- Prepares and maintains a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Liaises, consults and communicates with engineers, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepares value design proposals for estimates
- Updates and maintains Bid2Win database
- Developing tender construction schedules
- Developing methodology and execution of scope of work
- Other duties as assigned
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Thorough and detail oriented
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
Degree or Diploma in
- Civil Engineering
- Construction fundamentals diploma
- Electrical trades background considered an asset
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5+ years’ civil estimating experience in civil estimation on renewable and substation utility projects including civil works, excavation, foundations, duct banks, granular roads, etc.
- Experience using Bid2Win estimating software is an asset
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Proficient user of:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Project Scheduling)
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.