ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Western Utilities team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The Division Manager is located in Vancouver, BC and typically reports directly to the Director of Western Utility Operations Responsible for the overall success of the Utilities business unit in British Columbia, the Division Manager is a strategic leader with strong business knowledge and relationships within the local utility market. Capable of vision and execution, the successful candidate will lead a team of experts towards the successful completion of utilities related construction projects whilst developing and nourishing a pipeline of clients and secured work opportunities via business development, industry networking and research. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Employ strong leadership qualities to promote a collaborative atmosphere with employees to encourage growth, pride, and excellent results that exceed business and customer expectations.
- Maintain strong and detailed industry knowledge remaining abreast of all potential current and future utility construction opportunities.
- Maintain an expert level knowledge of industry pursuits, applicable pricing / estimate details, and closing goals to ensure all undertakings are completed with detail, are competitive, and on target.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of active project progress, accurate forecasting, successful job management, and employ successful risk mitigation techniques through ongoing and continuous job review and operational engagement.
- Develop and maintain a corporate image conducive to brand development and professionalism through proposals, assets, staff and sites.
- Promote regional objectives via enthusiasm for the business, instituting an “all-in” team attitude towards the successful completion of projects that all stakeholders can be proud to be a part of.
- Ensure compliance with Corporate Policies across the business unit through appropriate procedures, policies and systems.
- Engage in business development within the local market aligned with a regularly reviewed business and marketing plan.
- Ensure compliance with respect to processes and controls for estimation, tendering, subcontracting, purchasing, and accounting.
- Closely monitor Regional budgets and cash-flow, ensuring fiscal responsibility, identifying risks and deviances towards successful mitigation of any potential problems.
- Emphasize and ensure the proper tracking of productivity and workforce hours, to achieve strong job management which are reviewed through regular reporting.
- Ensure Regional compliance with company, client, municipal, provincial, and federal OHS regulations and promote strategies for the achievement of zero lost time injuries.
- Foster a work environment whereby staff pursue a customer service mandate and seek new customer opportunities for collaboration.
- Change Orientation
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Coaches and Develops
- Maximizes Business Performance and Team Effectiveness
- Strategic Perspective
- A post-secondary education in engineering, construction technology, and/or business
- Electrical Discipline experience/education in the utilities industry are a strong asset
The following certifications/designations are considered an asset
- PMP designation
- Gold Seal Certification
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 15+ years experience in the electrical utilities construction sector
- Proven leadership abilities at a senior level within the electrical utilities construction sector
- Strong understanding of the utility industry, pricing strategies, and industry relationships (i.e. suppliers, subcontractors, etc.).
- Strong budgetary analysis abilities including reading financial statements
- Business acumen, with the ability and comfort level to drive the business forward through business development activities.
- Experience with a trade union environment
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Advanced knowledge and understanding of:
- Contract management
- Construction scheduling, planning, and execution
- Project structural design interpretation
- Financial statements – read and comprehend
- Established Utilities practices, procedures and techniques
- Applicable local and provincial labour codes
- Managing / leading union and non-union staff
- Business operations processes
- Organization and time management
- Willing and able to travel to project sites in British Columbia
- Valid non-graduated British Columbia Driver’s License
- Security clearance requirements per client-specific site requirements
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.