ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Southern Ontario Mechanical Electrical Region team is growing! If you are an analytical and collaborative professional searching for the opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The Intermediate Mechanical Estimator is located in Scarborough and typically reports directly to the Estimating Manager.
Estimators analyze costs and prepare work take-offs and estimates on Mechanical ICI projects. The successful candidate will provide technical and administrative support to project operations with emphasis on Mechanical estimating, reporting and monitoring progress, planning, scheduling, and handling project change.
- Reading front end documents including instruction to bidders to determine closing dates, tendering or RFQ procedures, bonding requirements, insurance requirements, etc.
- Determine tender form requirements and set up tender specific breakout pricing to ensure compliance with tender submission
- Solicit subcontractor and vendor pricing specific to tenders
- Take off mechanical systems and work as part of the mechanical construction (ICI) estimating team to conduct thorough and complete estimates
- Maintain an industry presence to ensure continuity of work now and in the future
- Keep abreast of new technology within the mechanical contracting industry to ensure that all estimates include for the most up to date construction methods & procedures
- Prepare estimates including probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications
- Coordinate price packages with suppliers, subcontractors, owners, designers and architects regarding tenders
- Participate in site review, tender review, tender hand-off, project closing and operational/sector meetings with the Division Manager, Operations Manager, Project Manager and Purchasing as required
- Update our current directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors (Building Connected)
- Travel to various sites when required for site walks.
- Communicates Effectively
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Maximizes Business Performance and Team Effectiveness
Degree or Diploma in
- Construction Management
- Mechanical Engineering
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 3-5 years of Estimating experience in Mechanical ICI industry
- Experience estimating Mechanical ICI projects
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Blue print reading
- Project structural design interpretation
- Business operations processes
- Organization and time management
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Project)
- JD Edwards or an Oracle-based ERP system