ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Power Generation team is growing! The Senior Estimator opportunity is located at our office in Courtice, ON. The Senior Estimator will analyze costs of and prepare estimates on civil engineering, structural, electrical and mechanical construction projects. In addition Estimators may provide technical and administrative support to project operations with emphasis on estimating, reporting and monitoring progress, planning and scheduling, and dealing with project change. The Senior Estimator opportunity is a 6 month contract.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications
- Work with the estimating team for developing the bid response for Request for Prosposals (RFP’s)
- Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations
- Establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Coordinates price packages with suppliers, subcontractors, owners, designers and architects regarding tenders
- Participates in site review, tender review, tender hand-off, project closing and operational/sector meetings with the Estimating & Proposals Division Manager, Project Manager, and Purchasing as required
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates
- Perform sales calls and visits to potential and existing accounts to generate business
- Assist in conducting material and equipment purchasing for secured jobs
- Co-ordinate various small projects
- Collect and analyze relevant cost information
- Identify labour, equipment, material, time requirements, and technical specifications.
- Assist with the development of WBS and schedules
- Conduct quantity take-off estimates based on engineering drawings and specifications to compute labour and material costs to support budget development and change management
- Work with project manager to develop overall project budget and cost baseline
- Supervise other Estimating Staff
- Travel to various sites or clients to undertake the above.
- Communicates Effectively (excellent verbal and written communication skills)
- Holds Self and Others Accountable (proven ability to accurately handle a high volume of transactions, meet deadlines and prioritize workload)
- Problem Solving and Innovation (Strong analytical and critical thinking skills)
- Teamwork and Collaboration (Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a variety of people in a professional manner; Flexible team player with the ability to function independently while working in a team environment)
- Bachelor degree in engineering (or related discipline) or College technical Diploma or related experience.
- Relevant designations preferred.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 10 years of estimating experience for nuclear projects in an EPC environment/power plant industry or related construction/industrial projects.
- Experience on projects with high risk complexity.
- Proven experience with industry standards and cost estimating software.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organization and analytical skills
- Available to travel
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a variety of people in a professional manner
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Proven ability to accurately handle a high volume of transactions, meet deadlines and prioritize workload