Black & McDonald is looking for a Maintenance Manager to join the Management team based in the GTA. Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Maintenance Manager will provide superior leadership and management to the department in accordance with company beliefs, policies, procedures and objectives. The successful candidate will be responsible for planning, organizing and controlling the operations activities for the department and to ensure a sound management at legal, financial, quality, technical and human resources levels. As part of the Management team, the Maintenance Manager will prepare and administer the department’s daily tasks utilizing the sites CMMS system to ensure that preventative maintenance tasks, on demand work orders and correctives are responded to and completed in a timely and professional manner. Develop business to reach growth objectives and offer exceptional customer service. Additionally, the Maintenance Manager will supervise, assess, motivate and build the team.
Duties & Responsibilities
This position supervises approximately 15 techs and coordinates activities of maintenance staff in maintaining, repairing, replacing and upgrading of HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical equipment through-out the entire large commercial building complex.
- Provides support and direction to staff.
- Works with technicians to ensure preventative maintenance and repairs are completed properly and in a timely manner.
- Ensures that proper level of maintenance supplies and spare parts are maintained. Orders special parts as necessary.
- Guide, direct and support team members in the execution of their daily work; ensure that required timelines are met and ensure internal customer satisfaction
- Ensures maintenance personnel are properly trained and following documented procedures including the operation, setup, changeover or repairing of equipment.
- Manage the operation of the facilities in the areas of safety, productivity and efficiency to the standards of the contract and to the satisfaction of our customers
- Develop and maintain an expandable comprehensive maintenance program, which will include training maintenance personnel and establishing an innovative preventive maintenance program
- Effectively manage employee performance utilizing appropriate processes including establishing objectives, coaching, mentoring and corrective disciplinary action
- Responsible for solving problems and/or conflicts in a professional manner while maintaining open and timely communication with the customer
- Interface with internal and external customers ensuring effective communications regarding status and priority of work
- Develop and implement shift schedules while managing labour resources to ensure that the appropriate staffing levels are maintained
- Prepare proposals for additions, deletions and changes to the contract scope as requested by the customer
- Track, analyze and trend project costs
- Provide accurate invoicing and budgets based on the contract type, terms and conditions
- Contribute to the development of operational and capital projects pertaining to HVAC, electrical plumbing and mechanical
- Establish and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with vendors and other third parties to understand challenges and opportunities
- Ensure the timely exchange of information and the budgetary and service level requirements are met or exceeded
- Adherence to and implementation of health, safety, quality control and environmental policies and programs
- Inventories and orders equipment, materials, and supplies for the maintenance department
- Experience developing annual operating plan and budget
- Review and approve all expenditures for materials, equipment, tools, supplies
- Understands and monitors of work order CMMS system to ensure response times are met and resolutions provided so that tenant satisfaction is kept .
- Actively participate in construction projects and project review providing feed-back on additions/alterations to the buildings systems
- Ability to read and interpret HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and Fire System drawings.
- Actively participate in joint health and safety meetings
- Have the ability to understand and review Designated Substance Survey (DSS) reports and processes to ensure the proper handling and disposal of various materials is tracked and documented properly, following all site specific requirements.
● Assist in Planning and preparation of project schedules, milestones and budgets while monitoring progress against established schedules
- 5 years of experience in the facility management industry
- 5 years of experience in HVAC maintenance, including supervisory
- Expert knowledge in Microsoft suite
- Must have a strong knowledge of building electrical, mechanical and HVAC systems
- Experience in maintaining and managing all building services utilizing contractors and in-house staff
- Experience implementing process & procedural improvements
- Excellent time management skills; ability to shift priorities on an ad hoc basis and flexibility with working hours
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license
- Must obtain and maintain necessary security clearances
- Must be able to respond to HVAC emergencies after hours