Black & McDonald’s Power Generation team is growing! The Payroll Clerk position is located at our office located in Tiverton, Ontario and reports directly to the Cost & Schedule Reporting Supervisor.
The Payroll Clerk supports the Project Control and Finance/Payroll departments to ensure that the site employee’s hours including salary, hourly and contract staff hours, worked is recorded accurately and on-time. The Payroll Clerk will collect and organize timesheets to ensure time recorded is within the parameters of the Agreement between the company and the customer.
The Payroll Clerk must check payroll data related to overtime, vacation days, and sick days for accuracy, as well as authorized signatures from managers or supervisors and Bruce Power.
The Payroll Clerk also responds to employees' payroll-related inquiries via telephone, email, and/or in-person and, working with the home office payroll team and make necessary adjustments to fix any errors or discrepancies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure timely and accurate collection and reporting of timesheet data and summaries
- Reconcile daily hours worked to expected hours and note any deviations
- Generate weekly cost reports out of JDE for review by Project Controls
- Report daily and weekly hour totals for addition into the daily and weekly reports to client
- Ensure billing rate accuracy on weekly and monthly reports and billing
- Maintain accuracy in financial information by adopting proper policies and establishing or maintaining internal controls.
- Support the Cost Team in the preparations of Accruals
- Effectively detect issues, and resolve variances through observation of trends, comparison to standards and recommendation of appropriate corrective actions.
- Effectively communicate the project’s timekeeping issues/ concerns, & recovery plans to the project team
- Weekly, bi-weekly and monthly audits to reconcile billing to costs accounts
- Collection and accrual of Subcontractor timesheets
- Assist in the production required reports, timesheet summaries, and related metrics
- Monitor workflows to ensure all transactions are processed accurately and in compliance
- Support the Project Control Manager in the preparation of audits.
- Complete other projects, reporting and tasks as assigned
- Request for daily and weekly overtime approval
- Communicates effectively (excellent verbal and written communication skills)
- Holds self and Others Accountable (proven ability to accurately handle a high volume of transactions, meet deadlines and prioritize workload)
- Problem Solving and Innovation (Strong analytical and critical thinking skills)
- Teamwork and Collaboration (Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a variety of people in a professional manner; Flexible team player with the ability to function independently while working in a team environment)
- Completion of secondary school
- Completion of a college program in related field, such as finance or administration, is required
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 2-3 years’ working experience in an office environment, preferably within a financial or accounting capacity
- 1-2 years of Timekeeping or Payroll experience in a nuclear/construction (or related) environment is preferred
- A Nuclear Security Clearance must be achieved for employment on site
- JD Edwards software experience is preferred
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Shall be a competent person as defined in the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Analytical with strong problem solving skills
- Effective Communication, Presentation and Written skills
- Knowledge of applicable laws, government regulation and documentation requirements to the role
- Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly to change
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team based environment
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Computer Literacy; MS Word, Outlook and Excel
- A Client Security Clearance will be required