ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Power Generation Region team is growing! If you are a committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
Reporting to the Regional Vice President, the Regional Controller will work in conjunction with the regional office and corporate finance to execute the accounting and financial plan of the Power Generation Region in accordance with Corporate Policies. The Regional Controller is responsible for the execution, conduct, and results of the Finance & Accounting team.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Effectively engage team of 14 accounting and payroll team members; coordinate shared services activities with finance shared service group, as required
- Responsible for accuracy, integrity and completeness of all financial reporting on a timely basis, both within the region, and to the Corporate Office
- Responsible for the accuracy of the accounting data, including status of WIP, progress billing, A/R and profit recognition using the JD Edwards system.
- Daily problem solving of issues pertaining to the overall operations with respect to JDE
- Report financial results to the leadership team and engage in interactive sessions, in a collaborative approach, with the leadership team.
- Ensure and enhance internal controls over financial reporting and transaction processing
- Ensure accounting processes are established, communicated and adhered to
- Ensure that all reporting requirements with respect to financial results, budgets, projections, accruals, approval of salary over time, WIP valuation, cash management, contract specific analysis and reporting, other analysis and reporting are prepared and distributed on a timely basis
- Ongoing continuous improvement and learning organization approach
- Participate in the region’s strategic planning sessions with the leadership team
- Annual audit function of the region
- Regular audit for internal purpose or client requirements
- Comply with Human Resources Manager’s Toolkit annually that focuses on job descriptions, performance reviews, career development and annual employee/employer feedback.
- Foster a climate within Finance & Accounting where enthusiasm and morale results in achievement of departmental objectives, and an atmosphere exists where employees are engaged
- Provide leadership where expectations of employees are clearly communicated and understood and know how they can contribute and are rewarded when results meet or exceed expectations.
- As part of the wider controllers’ group within the group, support broader finance projects relating to effectiveness and efficiency of business processes.
- Other assistance and reporting as required
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer & Vendor Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Identification, Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Maximizes Business Performance and Team Effectiveness
- Strategic Perspective
- Diploma or Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance
- CPA, CMA or CGA designation is required
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 5 years in a similar financial management position leading a team
- Working experience in the construction industry an asset
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Word and Outlook
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of JD Edwards is preferred
- Business process analysis and modeling
- WIP management and cost control experience is helpful
- Analysis experience in a large matrix organization is helpful
- Must be able to handle multiple priorities, meticulously organized and detail oriented
- Prior experience coaching, mentoring and supporting a team