Black & McDonald’s Utility Division offers our clients a wide range of installation and maintenance services for their outdoor electrical systems. A sample of these services include street lighting, traffic signals, electronic message signs, EV charging stations, overhead and underground power distribution, erection of roadway signage, excavation and site development, and concrete equipment foundations/oil containment to name a few. Clients include: Nova Scotia Power Inc., Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure, Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia Department of Public Works, and Michelin Canada.
ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
The Junior Utility Estimator will report directly to the Estimating Department Manager, working within the Estimating Department located at 60 Cutler Avenue, Dartmouth, NS. The successful candidate will work on and/or contribute to a full range of Utility projects in the industrial, commercial, government, and institutional markets.
Black & McDonald is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging diverse candidates and those living with disabilities to apply. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
- Develop small to medium size utility estimates, or components of larger estimates,
- Reviews tender documents, with support from the Estimating Manager, to determine project requirements,
- Seek clarification on missing/ incomplete information and monitor for scope change during the estimating period,
- Perform pre-bid site visits to collect important information for estimate development,
- Prepare labour, material, and equipment estimates for construction projects based on tender documentation, schematic drawings and specifications,
- Liaise with owners, consultants, general contractors, subtrades and suppliers, seeking clarification and/or input for the estimate,
- Collaborate with field staff on execution methodology to ensure accuracy of estimate,
- Compile proposal submission in accordance with tender requirements,
- Steward bid review meetings with Management to communicate scope, costs, and estimate assumptions,
- Work with Project Managers and Field Staff upon contract award to familiarize them with the proposal and provide support as required if change orders are identified,
- Participate in a lessons learned sessions with project staff to discuss successes and identify areas for improvement.
- Civil or Electrical Engineering graduate; related work-term experience considered an asset,
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and Projects),
- Exceptional organization and time management skills, stewarding to multiple deadlines,
- Ability to interpret drawings and specifications,
- Possess effective verbal and written communication skills,
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment,
- Ability to obtain security clearances for visiting classified worksites.
WHAT TO EXPECT
In your first week, expect to:
- Meet our staff and learn about each division within Black & McDonald
- Set-Up your workstation
- Be prepared to listen and learn! Complete our online orientation which introduces candidates to Black & McDonald, our policies and procedures and WHMIS training.
In your first month, expect to:
- Spend time in the field! Become familiar with Utility Division team members and services they provide
- Spend time with the Estimating Manager to gain an understanding of role expectations and estimating processes,
- Meet with the Utility Division Manager to gain an understanding of Division objectives,
- Become familiar with applicable Union Agreements and Master Service Agreements to ensure estimates are developed in accordance with these important documents,
- Participate in Utility bid review meetings to observe estimate inputs/assumption and tie it back to what you’re learning in the field,
- Shadow senior estimators on site visits to understand the beginning stages of estimate development.
In your first three months, expect to:
- Complete Accubid training, our estimate software
- Develop estimates for small civil scopes, working closely with the Civil Superintendent to build on knowledge gained in the field
- Shadow Utility Project Manager to learn more about electrical estimating components of Utility (i.e. street lighting and traffic loops).