People: Our Strength, Our Future
A career at Black & McDonald will grant you the opportunity to contribute to our culture of continuous improvement, help reinforce our values and shape our contribution to community, and drive our continued success. Our vision is to be the best company to work for; the best company for safety, quality and value; the best company for customer service; and the best company for technical expertise.
Black & McDonald is an integrated, multi-trade contractor providing electrical, mechanical, utility and maintenance services to government, industrial, commercial and institutional markets. The company currently operates across Canada, US and Bermuda with over 5,500 employees working out of a network of more than 26 offices. Since 1921, Black & McDonald has remained a family-owned business with an uncompromising commitment to the founder's principles of delivery as promised and fairness to all. The company has followed a planned course of diversification and expansion, combining growth and financial stability with ongoing investment in our people, and a willingness to pioneer new business opportunities and directions.
Based in Calgary, the Labourer is responsible for performing general labour activities on utility (electrical and civil) construction sites. They will liaise with tradespersons, coordinators, managers, and site superintendent personnel in order to accomplish project milestones in a safe, efficient, and effective manner.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Load and unload construction materials, and move materials to work areas.
- Erect and dismantle concrete forms, scaffolding, ramps, catwalks, shoring and barricades required at construction sites.
- Mix, pour and spread materials such as concrete.
- Assist tradespersons as required.
- Assist heavy equipment operators to secure special attachments to equipment, signal operators to guide them in moving equipment and provide assistance in other activities.
- Assist in aligning pipes and mechanical devices / support systems.
- Level earth to fine grade specifications using rake and shovel.
- Remove rubble and other debris at construction sites using rakes, shovels, wheelbarrows and other equipment.
- Operate pneumatic hammers, vibrators and tampers as directed.
- Tend or feed machines or equipment used in construction such as mixers, compressors and pumps.
- Clean up chemical spills and other contaminants (as trained).
- Oil and grease hoists, mobile equipment.
- Direct traffic at or near construction sites.
- Perform other activities at construction sites, as directed.
- Change Orientation (open to change and the ability to identify where it is needed and how to make it happen)
- Communicates Effectively (verbally and in writing)
- Continuous Learning (ongoing effort to learn and contribute to the learnings of others)
- Customer Focus (understand the needs and perspectives of both internal and external customers)
- Holds Self and Others Accountable (take personal responsibility to meet commitments)
- Problem Solving and Innovation (ability to approach problems logically and seek innovative solutions)
- Teamwork and Collaboration (work cooperatively and collaboratively with others)
- Values and Respects Others (encourages and supports diversity)
Education & Skill Requirements
- High School diploma
- 2-5 years’ experience working in the construction industry in a General Labourer role, on utilities (electrical/civil) projects.
- Class 3 License with Airbrakes, Class 1 is preferred.
- 1-2 years’ experience operating a Back Hoe.
- 2-5 years’ experience operating a Directional Drilling Machine.
- 2-5 years’ experience operating an Auger Truck.
- Experience reading and interpreting locate drawings, and calling in locates is considered an asset.
- Construction Safety Certifications including the following are considered assets.
- Ground Disturbance Certification
- Confined Space Awareness/Rescue
- Fall Arrest
- First Aid