ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald is currently seeking a Junior Building Operator to join our Facilities Management & Operations team in Victoria! If you are a hands-on, customer service-oriented, and technically-inclined professional searching for the opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The Junior Building Operator position is located in Victoria, BC and will report directly to the Lead Building Operator.
The Junior Building Operator will be responsible for a variety of labour and maintenance duties managed under the Facilities Management agreement between Black & McDonald and the Client in accordance with Provincial Health and Safety regulations and Black & McDonald best practices. The Junior Building Operator will be expected to put the safety of themselves, co-workers and the public in the highest order of priority and to participate fully in our company safety program. This is a diverse role and the tasks expected to be performed will vary based on our work requirements and at the direction of the supervisor.
- Maintain a safe, respectful work environment and report unsafe conditions.
- Assist, supervise and provide access to subcontractors and trades as required
- Provide detailed responses to tenant requests that affect Strata assets.
- Participate in the company safety program
- Ensure that work order requests and preventative and corrective maintenance tasks are prioritized and addressed in a timely manner
- Work Order and inspection reports are completed clearly and concisely.
- Report deficiencies to supervisor and recommend remedial actions.
- Coordinate & communicate with the facility representatives any tasks that will impact the operation of the facility - such as access closures to entrances and pool due to maintenance & cleaning.
- Ensure that any waste or recyclable materials are disposed of in a responsible manner and protect the environment when planning or performing tasks
- Sweeping and washing of building exteriors, sidewalks and stairwells
- Site clean-up and waste removal
- Manual salting and snow clearing in critical areas for safety as required
- Request specific materials and equipment required for tasks
- Janitorial inspections
- Set up elevators pads for contractor and tenant moves
- Change light bulbs
- Monthly fire extinguisher inspections
- Check functionality of exercise equipment
- Assist with Maintenance of Pools / Hot tub / Sauna
- Clean strainers and replace water filters
- Check operation of parking area gas detection systems
- Basic repair and adjustments to doors and hardware
- Maintain clean and tidy work spaces and mechanical rooms
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Values and Respects Others
- High School completion would be an asset.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 1-3 years’ experience in a maintenance role would be an asset
- Previous experience working in facilities would be preferred
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Punctual, presentable and respectful at all times
- Completion of secondary school required
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to follow written and verbal instruction
- Class 5 BC Driver’s License preferred but not necessary
- Strong problem solving skills
- Basic computer skills and working knowledge of Excel, Word & Outlook
- Aerial Lift training or Fall Protection is an asset
- Level 1 or 2 Pool Operator certification is an asset
- Available for on call standby duties and emergency out of hours duties
We welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.