ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Alberta team is growing! If you are a committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The Building Operator oversees maintenance of client sites located in Calgary and the greater Calgary area. Reporting to the Facilities, Maintenance and Operations (FMO) Project Manager, the Building Operator’s main responsibilities are to maintain safe conditions inside and outside of assigned facilities, perform minor plumbing and electrical repairs, safety oversight of sub-contractors, conduct mechanical inspections and maintenance of equipment using FMO strategies to ensure it’s continued operation. Compliance with Black & McDonald’s code of conduct, health and safety policies, and work practices are a priority. The ideal candidate is someone who is “hands-on” and able to use prior work experience and technical skills to determine service requirements.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- In conjunction with the FMO Project Manager and the team, plans and executes responsive maintenance in accordance with BAS or facility management system
- Establishes methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinates work activities with other subcontractors
- Supervises subcontractors
- Performs basic tours and log readings
- Responds to tenant requests
- Performs light duties such as cleaning, painting, garbage removal, snow removal, HVAC, plumbing, and other mechanical duties, assisting sub-contractors technician’s mechanics, etc.
- Builds and maintains customer and supplier/vendor relationships to enhance competitiveness in the industry and promote good customer relationships
- Assists in developing and implementing quality control programs
- Prepares progress reports and issues progress schedules to clients
- Assists in purchase of building materials
- Reviews work/contracts/WIP for areas of risk and corrects deficiencies
- Change Orientation
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Class 5/4 Power Engineering Certification
- Trade certifications in plumbing, HVAC or electrical are beneficial
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as Building Operator; experience in operating a commercial facility preferred
- Knowledge and experience with building automation systems
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to pass and complete the requirements of the Federal Government Security Clearance
- Communicates effectively, both written and verbal; excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to use computers, tablets, smartphones and related technology efficiently
- Available for Emergency Out-of-hours duties
- Must attend and pass Black & McDonald Basics of Supervision training
- Clean Class 5 AB Driver’s License; a driver’s abstract is required for this position
- This is a roving position. Must be willing and able to travel to various assigned client facilities in Calgary and surrounding area.
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.