ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Ottawa team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The Payroll Assistant will be responsible for assisting the paymaster with the collection, , verification and processing of payroll information for the Ontario and Quebec hourly payrolls. [ Union & Non Union employees] within the Ottawa and Gatineau Region.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to: Assist the Paymaster with administering the Ontario and Quebec hourly payrolls ( Union & Non Union). Initially, other responsibilities will include up to 2 days a week providing administrative assistance to the HR Specialist utilizing hiring kits to update data in BAMBOO.
Create and maintain employee master data to ensure accurate payment of wages, benefits using JD Edwards
- Prepare and verify statements of earnings for employees, indicating gross and net salaries and deductions such as taxes, union dues, garnishments and insurance and pension plans
- Prepare employee payments and benefit payments by electronic transfer
- Complete, verify and process forms and documentation for administration of benefits such as pension plans, leaves, , employment and medical insurance
- Assist with the preparation of annual T4 and Releve 1 statements, Records of Employment etc.
- Provide information to employees on payroll matters, benefit plans and collective agreement provisions
- Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts
- Weekly reconciliation of various payroll deductions. Reconcile and prepare supporting documentation for union remittances in accordance with the bargaining agreement,
- Change Orientation
- Ability to work in a fast paced ,deadline driven environment
- Attention to detail
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Completion of college or other courses in accounting, bookkeeping or payroll administration
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum of 3 years working with unionized payrolls as well as prior exposure/familiarity with Quebec payroll regulations is considered an asset
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Experience with JDE payroll processing is preferred
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail and the ability to deal with constantly changing requirements and priorities.
- Ability to work in an open work environment
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when dealing with confidential and sensitive issues
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.