ABOUT THIS CAREER
Black & McDonald’s BC team is growing! If you are a people-oriented, enthusiastic, and driven professional searching for an opportunity to enhance your career, this position is for you. The Facility Manager is located in Vancouver, BC and reports directly to the General Manager.
The Facility Manager manages, directs and supervises the operation, maintenance, and repair of facilities and equipment throughout the Children’s & Women’s Hospital Teck Acute Care Centre (CWH TACC) as it relates to the CWH Facilities Maintenance Services Contract, ensuring that all work is performed in accordance with Black & McDonald policies and established procedures.
- Manages facility maintenance and facilities operating personnel which includes the following:
- Supervises all work associated with Plant Services including the operations & maintenance of the buildings, grounds, utility delivery systems;
- Develop and monitor the Facility Maintenance & Operations employees’ schedules;
- Review/approve weekly payroll;
- Adhere to the Corporate HR Tool Kit and Policies;
- Adhere to Corporate Safety Manual and Incident Reporting;
- Schedules Employee vacation days
- Manages, schedules, and monitors sub-contractors.
- Continually evaluates the Facility Utilities to ensure infrastructure system and equipment is operating efficiently and meeting the intent of the original design.
- Ensures staff is up-to-date on Black & McDonald training requirements and follows the requirements of the contractual performance requirements, corporate objectives, health and safety standards, Company policy and procedures and all applicable codes and regulations.
- Provides training to ensure staff understands the sequence of operations of the mechanical plant and electrical systems.
- Manages Minor Works projects by reviewing plans, drawings and specifications; provides preliminary cost estimates; liaises with trades, user departments and contractors.
- Respond and assist with CWH TACC Facility Emergency Codes.
- Maintain, evaluate and revise as required the operating log books, daily/nightly rounds cards, preventive maintenance, demand maintenance work orders, MSDS documentation and inventory control.
- Conducts weekly work review audits and performs daily site walk through inspections of active work site.
- Review work orders to determine appropriate priority and classification.
- Maintain inventories and orders equipment, materials and maintenance supplies.
- Attend required Client Operations meetings.
- Facilitate Black & McDonald staff and safety meetings.
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Maximizes Business Performance and Team Effectiveness
- 4th Class Power Engineer and/or relevant Trades Qualification Certification or Mechanical/Electrical Engineering Technologist together with 3-5 years of supervisory experience.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Must have a strong knowledge of building electrical, mechanical, HVAC and structural systems.
- Five years’ experience in hospital and/or building maintenance or related trade preferred.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Intermediate knowledge and understanding of:
- Local and National electrical codes, National Building Code and National Fire Code are required.
- Managing / leading union staff
- Business operations processes
- Organization and time management
- Proficient user of:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Project)
- JD Edwards or an Oracle-based ERP system
- RCMP background check required