ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Utilities team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
Based in Vancouver, the Equipment Operator is responsible for performing activities relating to operation of machinery on utility (electrical and civil) construction sites, primarily horizontal directional drilling equipment. They will liaise with tradespersons, coordinators, managers, and site superintendent personnel in order to accomplish project milestones in a safe, efficient, and effective manner.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Safely operate equipment in the installation of Underground Utilities
- Operate equipment in residential/industrial/HWY’s
- Responsible for the safe operation and basic maintenance of the organization’s equipment
- Read and interpret blueprints, stakes, and signage
- Coordinate and organize daily activities of all crew members and equipment
- Monitor and delegate tasks while supervising and leading crew
- Perform and log pre-operation safety inspections
- Prepare and coordinate safety tool box talks and complete pre-job hazard assessments
- Fuel and Grease Equipment to maintain safe and optimal operation
- General Labour duties and other activities at construction site as required
- Out of town travel may occasionally be required
- Communicates Effectively (verbally and in writing)
- Holds Self and Others Accountable (take personal responsibility to meet commitments)
- Teamwork and Collaboration (work cooperatively and collaboratively with others)
- Values and Respects Others (encourages and supports diversity)
- High School diploma
- Class 3 License with Airbrakes, Class 1 is preferred (DL and CSTS).
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 2-5 years’ experience working in the construction industry in an operator role
Experience with 1 or more of the following:
- Able to operate Radial Boom Derrick (RBD)
- Able to operate a Backhoe
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Due to many mandatory vaccination requirements at client projects / facilities, in order to provide substantial employment by ensuring compliance with our clients mandates, the successful candidate may be required to validate full vaccination prior to hire.
- Class 1 or 3 license
- Must have the following tickets: CSTS, Air Breaks, and Ground Disturbance
- Possess a valid, BC Driver’s License and a clean driving abstract
Construction Safety Certifications including the following are considered assets.
- Ground Disturbance Certification
- Confined Space Awareness/Rescue
- Fall Arrest
- First Aid
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.