ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Business Development team is growing! If you are an independent, enthusiastic, and driven professional searching for an opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The Bid Manager (Alternative Delivery & Major Projects) is located in Scarborough and typically reports directly to the Director of Pre-Construction, P3 & Major Projects.
The successful candidate will lead and facilitate project development from inception to close-out, while establishing and maintaining excellent relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The Bid Manager will oversee pursuits and will ultimately be responsible for daily functioning and coordination of project procurement.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the pursuit of large Alternative Delivery bids and develop strategic initiatives that will contribute to success
- Liaise with subgroup leaders to ensure alignment with milestones
- Research scope elements and review project documentation to determine details for estimating and quantification
- Spearhead the bid management process including internal coordination, estimating, planning, costing, engineering, scheduling, tender submission, and negotiation
- Analyze opportunity, cost, and risk throughout the entire bid management process
- Actively participate in costing, coordination with estimating team and technical personnel, procurement, legal, finance, quotations, cost consolidation, and document review.
- Facilitate coordination and collaboration within the business development team, and between other departmental stakeholders.
- Developing and executing tendering strategies focused on optimizing safety, cost schedule, quality, and other client requirements.
- Secure resources to support bid, including skills and efforts required to satisfy deliverables.
- Negotiate final contract terms and conditions, specifications and price.
- Coach and mentor junior staff.
- Commercial/Industry awareness
- Communicates Effectively
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Coaches and Develops
- Maximizes Business Performance and Team Effectiveness
- Degree or Diploma in Engineering (mechanical, electrical, civil, or business), construction management, business commerce, Project management, or a related discipline (recognized certification or licensure preferred – P.Eng., C.E.T., PMP or similar)
- The following certifications/designations are considered an asset
- o PMP designation
- o Construction safety certifications
- o MBA
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Willing and able to travel
- 5-10 years of experience in a similar role
- Estimating and Project Management experience is an asset
- Proven experience driving results and aligning organizational vision to strategic initiatives
- Strong business sense and industry expertise.
- Proficient user of:
- o MS Office (Word, Excel, Project)
- o JD Edwards or an Oracle-based ERP system