ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Kansas City team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The GIS Technician is located in Kansas City, MO and typically reports directly to the Department Supervisor. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design distribution projects in GIS platforms.
- Design and layout of distribution system projects e.g. electric and gas utilities, pole and underground line systems in customer GIS and process platforms.
- Utilize survey information and develop plans and maps.
- Occasionally, participate in the acquisition of on-site field data to accomplish the design or to monitor and evaluate equipment performance.
- Perform tasks such as digitizing, copying and scanning of drawings, prints and maps.
- Follow quality practice and procedures by self-checking all work product and checking the work of others as required.
- Follow safety procedures.
- Process and approve completion records, perform manual or computer aided drafting using AutoCAD.
- Perform and update records and maps in Arc Map.
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Maximizes Business Performance and Team Effectiveness
- Strategic Perspective
Degree or Diploma in Geography/GIS
The following certifications/designations are considered an asset
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Current student pursuing a BS in Geography, GIS or closely related field
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Proficient knowledge and understanding of:
- Experience in field data collection and management
- Familiarity with ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Mobile Apps
- Understanding of Geodatabases and use of Excel
- Knowledge of utility pole, power and communication networks a plus but not required
- Motivated individual with a knack for technology based solutions for problem solving
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.