Black & McDonald’s Kansas City team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The Civil Engineer is located in Kansas City, MO and typically reports directly to the Division Manager.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform civil/structural design on underground and above ground transmission and distribution projects from the conceptual phase through design completion
- Develop scopes of work, conceptual designs, and execution plans for the civil/structural portion of the projects
- Prepare engineering cost and man-hour estimates and schedules
- Coordinate design activities with other engineering and construction departments as well as owners
- Assist in communication & coordination with permitting agencies
- Execute other design or coordination activities as required such as pole line analysis, make ready design, or joint use coordination.
- Provide construction support with construction specifications, survey coordination, field inspections, and RFI responses
- Provide guidance and mentoring to less experienced team members
- Regularly meet and correspond with clients or outside personnel
- Support business development and marketing initiatives
- Other miscellaneous tasks when assigned
- Communicates Effectively
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Values and Respects Others
- Maximizes Business Performance and Team Effectiveness
- Strategic Perspective
Degree or Diploma in
- Completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam strongly preferred with the ability to get Professional Engineering (PE) license
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 0-5 years related experience preferably in substation, transmission, and/or distribution design
- Basic knowledge of GIS as well as ASCE and NESC
- Strong preference for those with:
- Proficient in standard engineering techniques, principles, and procedures.
- Strong computer skills include AutoCAD, MicroStation, 2D and 3D rendering programs and other analysis programs such O-CALC, PLS-CADD, or PLS-POLE
- Strong team building, collaboration, attention to detail, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, and organizational skills.
We welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request.