ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Energy & Sustainability Services Team is growing! If you are an analytical, organized, and detail-oriented professional searching for the opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The Energy & Sustainability Lifecycle Asset Manager role offers a flexible work environment with a home-base office located in Markham/Thornhill, ON and reports directly to the Energy Engineering Manager for the Energy & Sustainability Services Team.
The right candidate brings the skills necessary to deliver the intellectual analysis, ability to define solutions for our internal and external clients and to support our ongoing lifecycle management efforts in a client facing role.
Black and McDonald will provide training and development on the business development side consistent with the level of the candidate selected. As we grow the business line and offering there will be leadership, operational and business development opportunities.
The Energy & Sustainability Lifecycle Asset Manager will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Regularly research innovations in facilities lifecycle asset management and condition assessments
- Develop site specific condition and asset management data
- Maintain QA on existing site-specific data models
- Identify important data insights and generate scheduled and ad hoc reports detailing current, forecast, and scenario based models
- Conduct and/or coordinate infield facilities condition inspections
- Advise on capital planning for multiple clients and the potential for energy efficiency improvements where applicable
- Develop preliminary project scopes of work based on available condition and asset management data
- Order of Magnitude budget estimation of construction projects
- Work with operations staff to develop process improvements to strengthen asset management data
- Develop client and sector specific risk matrix to analyze asset replacement priority
- Organize and assess data to deliver a concise roadmap for capital planning spanning 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 50 year cycles, or any other cycle as required
- Provide technical support and guidance on sustainability concepts as part of lifecycle management such as energy efficiency, water efficiency, high performance HVAC systems, ventilation and IAQ, lighting, etc.
- Support the nurturing and maintaining of key client relationships, cultivating a trusted partner status
- Identify and pursue funding streams for innovation on suitable projects
- Consistently meet a variety of key performance indicators and performance targets for the ESS team
- Interact with client, staff, client principals, architects, engineers, contractors, industry representatives, facility managers, and construction trades
- Working knowledge on government and agency incentives for liaising regarding energy and sustainability related projects on behalf of clients
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science/Engineering, Sustainability Management, or Architecture
- Recognized Professional Engineer of Ontario would be considered an asset
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 3–5 years of experience in the lifecycle management, sustainability management, energy management, consulting, and/or sustainable facilities management fields
- Experience in building science including envelope, structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical, and civil
- Well-rounded knowledge of construction process and practices
- Hands on experience with capital planning, facilities maintenance, and estimation software.
- Hands on experience analyzing codes and standards
- Understanding of ISO 55000, ASTM E2018-15, ASHRAE Standards, and other best practices for asset management
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of building science, HVAC, construction practices, lighting systems, facility control systems, smart building technologies, and energy management strategies
- Knowledge and experience with various software including MS Office, asset management software, etc.
- Ability to approach problems logically, under pressure and seek innovative solutions
- Excellent people, team, and client communication and management skills
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office proficiency
- Self-directed and self-motivated
- Passionate about climate change mitigation, resiliency, sustainable design and management, and energy management
- Valid driver’s license
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.