Black & McDonald Limited is actively seeking a Railway Signal Engineer located in Scarborough, Ontario.
In 1921, William J. McDonald and William R. Black formed Black & McDonald Limited, a partnership to engage in residential wiring. Throughout the years, Black & McDonald has remained a family-owned business with an uncompromising commitment to the founder's principles of delivery as promised and fairness to all. The company has followed a planned course of diversification and expansion, combining growth and financial stability with ongoing investment in our people, and a willingness to pioneer new business opportunities and directions. Black & McDonald is an integrated, multi-trade contractor providing electrical, mechanical, utility and maintenance services to government, industrial, commercial and institutional markets. Currently, Black & McDonald operates across Canada and the United States. The company has over 5,000 employees working out of a network of more than 20 offices.
- Provide professional guidance and technical information to assigned personnel, organize and coordinate with other engineering and operating groups.
- Prepares logic design concepts for both standard and unique situations to meet specific project requirements.
- Prepare specification documents for contractor use.
- Assess complete engineering design packages to ensure conformance to specific project requirements and established principles and procedures.
- Identifies and quantifies all material required to meet specific project requirements.
- Prepares quotations and indicates possible cost/deliver problems and includes recommendations to resolve problems.
- Prepares estimates for assigned projects following established guidelines and clear and concise submittals containing the appropriate documentation, identifying deviations.
- Review test procedures to ensure compliance to specific project testing requirements.
- Prepare design plans for grade crossings and typical railroad installations (end of sidings, intermediate signals, etc.)
- Identifies training requirements and assists in the development and implementation of both internal and external programs.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Railway Operation.
- Familiar with the operation of and signal design using Grade Crossing Predictors angel Signaling Systems.
- Excellent Communication skills.
- Proven leadership abilities.
- Ability to work effectively in a project team setting.
- Familiar with Canadian Railroad Safety Standards.
- Knowledge of CN and CP Railway Signals standards would be an asset.
Competency Requirements (Advanced to Expert Level)
- Change Orientation
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Coaches and Develops
- Maximizes Business Performance and Team Effectiveness, Strategic Perspective