ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Western Utilities team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The Civil Estimator is located in Calgary, Alberta and typically reports directly to the Division Manager. The successful candidate will prepare civil take-offs and estimates on heavy civil projects. They will provide technical support to project operations, with emphasis on estimating, reporting and monitoring progress, planning, and scheduling and handling project change.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepares civil work take-offs and estimates on transportation and transit projects including Streetlighting, Traffic Intersections, Intelligence Traffic Systems, and Duct Banks
- Estimates costs of materials, labour and equipment required for projects based on drawings and specifications
- Establishes and maintains tendering process, sets up cost monitoring, reporting systems and procedures
- Coordinates price packages with suppliers, subcontractors, and owners regarding tenders
- Participates in site review, tender review, tender hand-off, and project closing meetings, as required
- Prepares and maintains a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors
- Liaises, consults and communicates with engineers, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepares value design proposals for estimates
- Updates and maintains Bid2Win database
- Developing tender construction schedules
- Developing methodology and execution of scope of work
- Other duties as assigned
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Thorough and detail oriented
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
Degree or Diploma in
- Civil Engineering
- Construction fundamentals diploma
- Electrical trades background considered an asset
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5+ years’ civil estimating experience on transportation and/or transit construction projects
- Experience using Bid2Win estimating software is an asset
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Proficient user of:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Project Scheduling)
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.