ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Facilities Management & Operations team is growing! If you are a hands-on, customer service-oriented, and technically-inclined professional searching for the opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The Carpenter position is based out of the Vancouver Office and reports directly to the FMO Project Manager.
The Carpenter is responsible for constructing, erecting, installing, and repairing structures, constructing formwork, concrete placement, finishing and repairs, and assembling and repairing mill/trim work at various facilities throughout the Lower Mainland. They will assist other skilled tradespersons and will perform various carpenter duties, as assigned by the FMO Project Manager. The Carpenter will use experience and technical skills to meet client requirements at the work site. The ability to work safely with minimal daily supervision is essential and they must be comfortable with being mobile.
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and the specific deliverables
- Perform material take offs, prepare quotations and order materials
- Prepare layouts to confirm with building codes
- Execute building structure, finishings and repair work within set time frames and budgets
- Manage and report scope, budget or time frame deviations.
- Build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems
- Fit and install trim items, such as doors, stairs, moulding and hardware
- Maintain, repair and renovate wooden structures
- Plan and execute work in accordance with Black & McDonald corporate safety policy and provincial regulations
- Actively participate in promoting a strong safety culture
- Perform other facility related Construction or repairs at the request of the Project Manager
- Communicates Effectively
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Red Seal certified Carpenter or equivalent is an asset
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5 or more years of experience in a Carpenter role
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to follow instructions both written and verbal.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Able to perform physically demanding tasks on a regular basis (lifting/moving heavy equipment/materials)
- Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools
- Ability to prepare quotes for work within this field
- Must be able to pass Federal Security Clearance to work on Military facilities
- Requires personal protective equipment to be worn, appropriate to the task being performed
- Able to travel within the Lower Mainland as required (vehicle to be provided)