ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Power Generation team is growing! The Estimator position is located at our office in Courtice, Ontario and reports directly to the Estimating & Assessing Manager.
Estimators will analyze costs of and prepare estimates on civil engineering, structural, electrical and mechanical construction projects. In addition Estimators may provide technical and administrative support to project operations with emphasis on estimating, reporting and monitoring progress, planning and scheduling, and dealing with project change. Senior estimators provide guidance and mentoring to less experienced estimators and assist in preparation and review of bids.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications.
- Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to junior estimators by sharing best practices, providing advice and reviewing draft estimates.
- Prepare and deliver training on estimating processes and fundamentals.
- Establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Coordinates price packages with suppliers, subcontractors, owners, designers and architects regarding tenders.
- Participates in site review, tender review, tender hand-off, project closing and operational/sector meetings with the Estimating & Proposals Division Manager, Project Manager, and Purchasing as required.
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Collect and analyze relevant cost information.
- Identify labour, equipment, material, time requirements, and technical specifications.
- Assist with the development of WBS and schedules.
- Conduct quantity take-off estimates based on engineering drawings and specifications to compute labour and material costs to support budget development and change management.
- Work with project manager to develop overall project budget and cost baseline.
- Travel to various sites or clients to undertake the above.
- Communicates effectively (excellent verbal and written communication skills)
- Problem Solving and Innovation (Strong analytical and critical thinking skills)
- Teamwork and Collaboration (Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a variety of people in a professional manner; Flexible team player with the ability to function independently while working in a team environment)
- Bachelor degree in engineering (or related discipline) or College technical Diploma or related experience.
- Relevant designations preferred.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 10 years of estimating experience for nuclear projects in an EPC environment/ power plant industry or related construction/industrial projects.
- Experience on projects with high risk complexity.
- Proven experience with industry standards and cost estimating software.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Shall be a competent person as defined in the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Analytical with strong problem solving skills
- Effective Communication and Written skills
- Knowledge of applicable laws, government regulation and documentation requirements to the role
- Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly to change
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team based environment
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Computer Literacy; MS Word, Outlook, Excel and Black & McDonald JD Edwards
- JD Edwards software experience is preferred
- A Client Security Clearance will be required
- A Criminal Record Check or a Credit Check is not normally required for this position
- Available to travel