ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Ottawa team is growing! If you are a committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The Maintenance Mechanic will be working within the FMO Division reporting directly to the Chief of Plant. This position is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the Central Heating & Cooling Plant, investigating and resolving complex problems related to cooling, heating, and pressure flow, assisting and directing the work of contractors and other the personnel working on Plant equipment, and holding themselves and others accountable for achieving specific operational objectives at the Plant.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Efficient and economical production of HTHW/chilled water to assure its availability to end users at the highest possible efficiencies
- Start-up, operation, and shutdown of plant equipment and systems, including the use of computerized Building Automation System
- Monitor the plant equipment to ensure efficient operation to optimize fuel use
- Maintain operating logs on all operating equipment and take readings as required
- Complete operational log book entries as per Ontario Operating Engineers act.
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks and inspections in accordance with maintenance schedules, as well as corrective maintenance as required
- Provide timely and complete information regarding potential areas of non-compliance with applicable codes and standards and recommend corrective measures
- Operate, maintain, and service water treatment equipment, and perform water treatment tests as per procedure
- Monitoring equipment warranties
- Test operations and capabilities of the central heating plant
- Inspection of idle equipment, and cleaning, preservation, lubrication, and adjustment of plant equipment in accordance with the rating of such equipment
- Provide janitorial services for the plant and other facilities
- Respond to service calls during shift which may include emergency repairs and coordination of subcontractors
- Assists in training new engineers
- Undertake all the responsibilities and tasks of an Operating Engineer under Ontario Regulation 219/01
- Provide janitorial services for the plant and other facilities with as-required maintenance, repairs, and cleaning of equipment in the facility
- Provide emergency support for after hour trouble calls
- Work with ladders and lifts to provide service and repair to equipment at various heights
- Perform tasks that occur in a building plumbing and drainage system
- Change Orientation
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving and Innovation
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5+ years’ experience working with computerized control systems, high pressure boilers, pumps, valves, chillers and cooling towers
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Able to speak, read & write in English
- Able to hold and maintain a Secret security clearance
- Good verbal and written communication and organizational skills
- Able to follow instructions both written and verbal
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times with fellow employees and customer
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.