ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Vancouver team is growing! If you are a hands-on, customer service-oriented, and technically-inclined professional searching for the opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The Building Operator is located at the Teck Acute Care Centre at Children's & Women's Hospital in Vancouver and reports directly to the Facility Manager.
The Building Operator is responsible for the safe operation of the TACC Facility. This position will perform maintenance, investigations and resolve problems relating to the physical plant and HVAC systems to ensure continuing operation.
- Assumes operating responsibility for the physical plant including all HVAC systems.
- Helps keeps all physical plant and equipment in safe and proper working condition.
- Completes work such as:
- Preventative maintenance work on physical plant related equipment
- Troubleshooting equipment to locate & repair problems
- Reading and interpreting blueprints, drawings, and specifications
- Completing filter changes
- Replacing washers/faucets; clearing sinks, toilets and drains; clearing grease traps/sumps; re-packing valves; replacing pumps/motors; resetting breakers, etc.
- Replacing lamps and bulbs
- Conducting water treatment tests
- Performs daily rounds and log readings.
- Completes maintenance records and work orders; input histories and comments as required.
- Observes and implements safety regulations and practices.
- Observes and implements applicable regulations made under the Provincial and Federal statues and Municipal by-laws.
- Maintains the cleanliness of all shops and mechanical rooms.
- Participates and supports other duties as assigned to assist other maintenance trades.
- Conducts testing of the emergency generator system.
- Communicates Effectively
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- 4th or 5th Class Operating Engineers or Trades Certificate of Qualification (or equivalent)
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in all aspects of physical plant operations and maintenance, preferably in a hospital environment.
- Working knowledge of building services including air conditioning, refrigeration and electrical and mechanical equipment controls and systems.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of the Health and Safety Act and all applicable CSA Codes.
- Must be able to speak, read & write in English.
- Must work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations including but not limited to: use or wear of equipment or protective devices or clothing for safety purposes, report any known contravention of this Act or regulations or the existence of any hazards.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required.
- Follow instructions both written and verbal.
- Maintains a professional demeanor at all times with fellow employees and customer.
- Maintains clear and courteous two way radio and/or phone etiquette.
- A team player, committed to working in a quality environment.
- Must comply with all company policies and procedures and adhere to company standards.
- Acts in accordance with the commitment to safe and compassionate patient care and a safe and healthy work environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 kg (bending and lifting is required).
- Must be able to work on ladder or scaffold at various heights.
- Must be able to successfully clear a Criminal Background check
Due to the mandatory vaccination requirements at our client facilities at the Teck Acute Care Centre, to ensure compliance with our clients’ mandates, the successful candidate will be required to validate full vaccination prior to hire.
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.