ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
The Purchasing Coordinator will perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assist with planning, organizing, directing, controlling and evaluating the purchase activities of the Region/Division with a focus on mechanical construction activities
- Identify vendors of materials, equipment or supplies
- Evaluate cost and quality of goods or services
- Negotiate or help negotiate purchase contracts
- Participate in the development of specifications for equipment, products or substitute materials
- Ensure all purchasing policies and procedures align with the Quality Assurance program and applicable ISO requirements
- Secure quotes for equipment from suppliers for review by the estimator during the bid process.
- Find sources of material and suppliers for material not generally known to us, where / when required.
- Price and extend line material and general material (eg. Pipe, plumbing fixtures, etc.).
- Suggest, where possible, alternate materials or methods that may be sourced to perform a particular task.
- Assisting estimating staff
- Dealing with supplier
- Know what a supplier sells.
- Be an in house contact and meet with suppliers.
- Negotiate pricing for line material for day-to-day use and project pricing.
- Negotiate and purchase equipment when requested by the estimator or project superintendent.
- Secure shop drawings and/or certifications for material or equipment requiring same.
- Provide the supplier with a purchase orders to establish a contract and facilitate billing.
- Expedite deliveries of materials as requested.
- Secure, where possible, long term commitments for commodity items.
- Field staff support
- Assemble requests for material and disseminate orders to suppliers in such a manner as to provide the best-delivered cost for a project.
- Be a contact in the office where questions can be asked and followed up. Even when it is not within the agent’s expertise to which a question pertains, an effort is made to get answers as requested or provide a source.
- Expedite shipments and back orders and find alternate sources of material when practical.
- Provide and track purchase orders to designate sites for field-generated purchases.
- Accounting and data entry
- Fill out purchase orders in a detailed and timely fashion.
- Commit costs to a job as soon as possible after the issue of a purchase order.
- Reconcile differences between committed costs on a purchase order and invoice.
- Try to help site users of our system on its functionality and use.
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in a construction related field is considered an asset.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 1-3 years’ experience working in mechanical procurement or for a mechanical supplier is a definite asset.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Proficient knowledge and understanding of:
- Mechanical construction materials, equipment, and components
- Quality Assurance Programs
- ISO requirements
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.