ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Ottawa team is growing! If you are an independent, enthusiastic, and driven professional searching for an opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you.
This opportunity relates to the modernization of the heating and cooling energy distribution systems to over 80 buildings in the National Capital Region. The project involves design and construction of four new central heating and cooling plants plus associated distribution piping networks over a period of five years, under a Joint Venture Partnership with another leading major Contractor. Black and McDonald is responsible for the design and construction of the mechanical and electrical work across the project. The Electrical Design Technologist will be located at the project office, and will report to the Electrical Project Manager. The role initially involves design assist for electrical systems at one of the largest and most complex of the central plants under this project, in downtown Ottawa. Following the design phase, the position will develop into an Electrical Project Coordinator role on site under the direction of the Site Project Manager. In this role, you will continue to support the technical requirements for the work, and be responsible to assist the Site Project Manager to ensure project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards are met.
- Review and collaborate with the consulting engineer on the design of the electrical systems
- Review drawings and specs for constructability
- Work with and prepare detailed diagrams, plans, drawings, reports and presentations
- Use 3-d Revit CAD software and other resources to prepare shop drawings
- Assist with the identification and resolution of field technical issues
- Create 3D construction models.
- Work with site and consultant to create efficient electrical systems
- Coordinate with Document Control to manage information systems, shop drawings and RFI’s
- Create work and fabrication packages for pre-fab and on-site installations
- Assist with issuance and management of subcontracts and PO’s
- Assist in budget analysis, cost projects, estimating changes
- Prepare progress reports and work with the Project Scheduler to manage the construction schedule
- Coordinate purchases of material and supplies with field supervision and procurement team.
- Coordinate with the Quality Team to ensure timely inspections and quality monitoring
- Change Orientation
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- College Diploma in Construction or Electrical Engineering Technology or a University Degree in Engineering
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5-6 years’ experience in the construction industry, preferably industrial or energy sector
- 5-6 years’ experience working in electrical engineering design
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Must hold a valid driver’s license
- Experience in drafting practices for mechanical and electrical building systems
- Knowledge of construction equipment and techniques, drawings and specifications and building materials
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Project and Outlook
- Proficiency in 3D CAD software and Revit
- Excellent communication, planning and organizational skills
- Must be able to attain and hold a Reliability and Secret security clearance
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.