Black & McDonald is a family-owned and family-run company that employs thousands of highly skilled and talented professionals across North America. We are a forward‑thinking organization with a strong track record of delivering operational excellence and customer-focused solutions. With over 100 years of experience, we understand that the only way to build a successful business is from the ground up. We choose to do meaningful work that transforms the world we live in. We can’t wait to get our hands on exciting, diverse projects that make a difference in our communities. We are constantly growing and depend on every member of our talented teams to keep us moving forward. We strive to provide our people with endless opportunities to learn, grow, and leave their mark on an exciting industry.
ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Lexington operations is young but seeing aggressive growth! If you are a collaborative and detail-orientated professional searching for an opportunity to build a solid foundation with a great company in a market ripe for career growth, this position in the Lexington market is for you. The Utility / Construction Project Coordinator will report directly to the Utility / Construction Project Manager and will be part of our team that oversees all of our Utility work in the Lexington market. This position will work out of our Lexington office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Utility / Construction Project Coordinator will assist the Utility / Construction Project Manager with the following tasks:
- Execute Utility Operations in accordance with Corporate Policy.
- Build, maintain, and enhance relationships with customers, suppliers, and vendors to enhance competitiveness in the Utility industry.
- Develop, review, and submit estimates to customers for potential work.
- Plan, prepare, and monitor schedules and milestones against customer schedules.
- Prepare, submit, and monitor material orders from customers, suppliers, and vendors.
- Manage subcontractor activities to ensure compliance with subcontracts and budgets.
- Develop, review, and monitor costs and production against established budgets for each project.
- Schedule and coordinate work with our General Foreman in the field.
- Oversee contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with clients, suppliers and subcontractors.
- Develop and implement quality control programs.
- Prepare progress reports for both internal management and customers.
- Strong emphasis placed on safety.
- Perform visits to potential customers to generate new business and visits to existing customers to strengthen business.
- Review work/contracts/WIP for areas of risk and correct deficiencies.
KEY RESULT AREAS (KRA)
- Promote prevention of accidents and provide a safe working environment – No Lost Time Incidents
- Adherence to Black & McDonald Code of Business and to Corporate Policies
- Professional presentation of employees, sites, offices & equipment
- Participate in the achievement of the Corporate, Regional, and Divisional Objectives
- Ensure accurate WIP’s, Labor Productivity Reports & Compliance to Operational Guidelines
- Participate in B&M Way, Quality, Community, Environmental Responsibility, & Customer Satisfaction
- Execution of work, on time, and on budget
- Human Resources Effectiveness
- Monthly Review Criteria and Reporting Procedures
- Weekly review of key result areas, with particular attention to contracts in progress and status of major projects (cost, schedule, margin enhancement/deterioration)
- Weekly review of estimate summary report (jobs bid & secured)
- Weekly review of manpower levels and anticipated changes
- Bid review with level of detailed dictated by project value
EDUCATION, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Associates degree
- Strong leadership, communication, organization, and analytical skills
- Computer Literacy; Microsoft Office programs (Excel & Word being the most critical). Well versed in Excel would be a major plus.
- Communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing, with all levels in the organization and with outside clients.
- 5+ years of Project Coordinator experience is a plus but not a requirement. Experience in electrical/utilities would be a major plus.
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
If you are an existing Black & McDonald employee, please notify your supervisor
of your interest and intent to apply before applying.