ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Southern Ontario FMO team is growing! If you are a technical and hands-on professional searching for the opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The Building Operator is located in Toronto, ON and typically reports directly to the Senior Operations Manager.
The Building Operator will fulfill day-to-day tasks in a timely manner ensuring that the building operates safely and efficiently. The position also requires compliance with Black & McDonald codes of conduct, health, safety and environmental policies and safe work practices along with any client specific protocol.
The Building Operator will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to all relevant health, safety, and environmental policies and procedures by all interested parties
- Ensure all work areas are maintained in a clean and safe working condition
- Regularly communicate health, safety, and environmental issues or concerns to the Senior Building Operator or other relevant B&M staff. Ensure “Toolbox Talks” and other related information is clearly understood and effectively communicated to the relevant parties
- Ensure standard operating procedures, planned maintenance activities, and any other relevant guidelines are maintained, stored correctly, and strictly adhered to with suggestions offered to update as appropriate
- Ensure the correct and legible completion at all times of any required documentation including timesheets or software-based systems
- Respond to demand and emergency issues promptly, utilizing the computerized building automation system or manual systems where appropriate
- Perform shift tours, record and log the relevant information, and report any concerns to the appropriate personnel, fully investigating any issues that arise as required
- Perform routine inspections and tests on building fire and life safety equipment. Provide the necessary support to allow scheduled maintenance and repairs to be carried out on such equipment
- Perform routine inspection, maintenance, and repairs to all assets and any other related equipment
- Configuration of plant and systems to allow maintenance work to be completed as required
- Re-lamping of lighting fixtures and resetting breakers within the appropriate guidelines
- Perform minor plumbing and general building maintenance and repair duties (e.g., drywall repairs; painting; replacing washers, faucets, and sinks; clear toilets, drains, and sump pits; and replacing faulty lighting lamps and fixtures within the appropriate guidelines)
- Start up and shut down major building equipment such as chillers, pumps, cooling towers, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Building Environment System Certificate or a trade license
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 1–3 years of experience in the maintenance and repair of complex building systems
- HVAC experience is required
- Knowledge and experience with building automation systems (BAS)
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent troubleshooting and interpersonal skills, combined with the ability to read blueprints and follow verbal and written instructions
- Basic computer skills required
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Bending and lifting required; lifting under 30 kg
- Must obtain security clearance
We welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request.