ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Nuclear Services team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The Estimator position is located at our office in Bowmanville, Ontario and reports directly to the Estimating & Proposals Manager.
Estimators will analyze costs of and prepare engineering, procurement and construction estimates for civil, structural, electrical and mechanical projects. In addition Estimators may provide technical and administrative support to project operations with emphasis on estimating, reporting and monitoring progress, planning and scheduling, and dealing with project change. Estimators provide guidance and mentoring to less experienced junior estimators and assist in preparation and review of bids.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications.
• Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations.
• Establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
• Coordinates price packages with suppliers, subcontractors, owners, designers and architects regarding tenders.
• Participates in site review, tender review, tender hand-off, project closing and operational/sector meetings with the Estimating & Proposals Division Manager, Project Manager, and Purchasing as required.
• Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
• Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
• Perform sales calls and visits to potential and existing accounts to generate business.
• Assist in conducting material and equipment purchasing for secured jobs
• Collect and analyze relevant cost information.
• Identify labour, equipment, material, time requirements, and technical specifications.
• Assist with the development of WBS and schedules.
• Conduct quantity take-off estimates based on engineering drawings and specifications to compute labour and material costs to support budget development and change management.
• Work with project manager to develop overall project budget and cost baseline.
• Travel to various sites or clients to undertake the above.
• Communicates Effectively
• Customer Focus
• Holds Self and Others Accountable
• Problem Solving and Innovation
• Teamwork and Collaboration
• Values and Respects Others
• Bachelor degree in engineering (or related discipline) or College technical Diploma or related experience.
• Relevant designations preferred.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• 6 years of estimating experience for related construction/industrial projects.
• Experience on projects with medium risk complexity.
• Proven experience with industry standards and cost estimating software.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• Shall be a competent person as defined in the Occupational Health and Safety Act
• Analytical with strong problem solving skills
• Effective Communication and Written skills
• Knowledge of applicable laws, government regulation and documentation requirements to the role
• Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly to change
• Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team based environment
• Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
• Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills
• Computer Literacy; Microsoft Office product suite including Word, Outlook and Excel
• JD Edwards software experience is an asset
• A Client Security Clearance will be required
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.