ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Ottawa team is growing! If you are an independent, enthusiastic, and driven professional searching for an opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you.
This opportunity relates to the modernization of the heating and cooling energy distribution systems to over 80 buildings in the National Capital Region. The project involves design and construction of four new central heating and cooling plants plus associated distribution piping networks over a period of five years, under a Joint Venture Partnership with another leading major Contractor. The position will be located at the project office, and will report to the Site Project Manager. The role initially involves design assist for mechanical systems at one of the largest and most complex of the central plants under this project, in downtown Ottawa. Following the design phase, the position will morph into a Mechanical Project Coordinator role on site under the direction of the Site Project Manager. In this role, you will continue to support the technical requirements for the work, and be responsible to assist the Site Project Manager and site team to ensure project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards are met.
- Review and collaborate with the consulting engineer of record on the design of the mechanical systems
- Work with engineer to create efficient mechanical systems
- Review drawings and specs for constructability
- Prepare detailed diagrams, plans, reports and presentations
- Use CAD software and other resources to prepare shop drawings
- Conduct construction site surveys with 3D point cloud scanner
- Create 3D mechanical construction models merged with 3D point cloud scans to produce using Revit with integrated proprietary MEP software
- Prepare pipe support and spool fabrication drawings
- Create work packages for on-site installations
- Coordinate with document control to manage information systems, shop drawings and RFI’s
- Assist with the identification and resolution of field technical issues
- Assist with issuance and management of subcontracts and PO’s
- Assist in budget analysis, cost projects, estimating changes
- Prepare progress reports and work with the Project Scheduler to manage the construction schedule
- Coordinate purchase of material and supplies with field supervision and procurement team.
- Coordinate with the quality team to ensure timely inspections and quality monitoring
- Change Orientation
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- College Diploma in Construction or Mechanical Engineering Technology or a University Degree in Engineering
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 3-5 years’ experience in the construction industry, preferably industrial or energy sector
- 5-10 years’ experience working in engineering design
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Must hold a valid driver’s license
- Experience in drafting practices for mechanical and electrical building systems
- Experience with pipe spool fabrication or manufacturing of mechanical equipment is considered an asset
- Knowledge of construction equipment and techniques, drawings and specifications and building materials
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Project and Outlook
- Proficiency in 3D CAD software and Revit
- Excellent communication, planning and organizational skills
- Must be able to attain and hold a Reliability and Secret security clearance
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.