Black & McDonald’s Engineering team is growing! If you are an independent, enthusiastic, and driven professional searching for an opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you.
Black and McDonald, is actively seeking entry level GIS/Designers with career aspirations of designing Electrical Utility and Communication distribution systems. Projects will involve designing existing electric utility and communications distribution systems in accordance with NESC codes and Utility Owner requirements. Entry level positions will be trained to accomplish electric utility distribution design using Black & McDonald in house procedures and processes.
WHAT YOU WILL DO IN YOUR ROLE
- Design and layout of a variety of electric utility distribution system projects in various process platforms to meet utility owner standards and NESC codes
- In a team setting, deliver completed design projects/work orders on time, according to customer specifications and through customer process databases
- Occasionally, participate in the acquisition of field data to accomplish the design or to monitor and evaluate equipment performance
- Training of applicable design criteria and processes is a crucial piece of our Black & McDonald culture
- Follow quality practice and procedures by self-checking all work product and checking the work of others as required
- Follow safety procedures
- Maintain GIS databases with information from sources including, but not limited to, work management systems, as-built construction drawings, work orders, completion records, field reports or other information from the job sponsor
- Process and approve completion records, perform manual or computer aided drafting using AutoCAD
- Perform pole loading analysis using O-Calc
- Perform and update records and maps in Arc Map
- Produce and distribute time contingent construction work orders and job packets
- Collaborate with a team of Surveyors, Designers and Engineers in order to provide efficient and innovative solutions to our clients.
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Learn non-industry standard drafting and mapping software
- Additional duties as assigned
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Growth Mind-set
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Strategic Perspective
- Attention to Detail
- Strong Time Management
BS in GIS or Science related field preferred, but not required
Years of past electric utility experience or related field will be considered as educational experience
WORK EXPERIENCE: PREFERRED
- Must be a self-starter, able to work with others and to handle multiple tasks
- A plus to have knowledge of power line designs (underground and overhead)
- Demonstrate understanding of NESC code compliance and Utility construction standards
- Requires the ability to respond rapidly to changing demands.
- Experienced with Microsoft applications such as Excel.
- Experienced working with pole loading analysis software such as O-Calc and PLS CADD
- Demonstrated proficiency in GIS, advanced CAD or graphical representation
- Communicate clearly both verbally and in writing with all levels in the organization and with outside clients
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.