ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Southern Ontario team is growing! Are you are an independent, enthusiastic, and driven professional searching for an opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career? If so, and if you have what it takes, this may be just the right path for you! The Mechanical Estimator is located at 31 Pullman Court, Scarborough, Ontario and typically works directly with the Chief Estimator.
The Mechanical Estimator role includes working on a full-range of mechanical projects in the industrial, commercial, government, and institutional markets.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare estimates of probable costs of materials, labour, subcontractors and equipment for construction projects based on contract bids, quotations, schematic drawings and specifications.
- Advise on tendering procedures, examine and analyze tenders, recommend tender awards and conduct negotiations.
- Establish and maintain tendering process and set up cost monitoring and reporting systems and procedures.
- Coordinates price packages with suppliers, subcontractors, owners, designers and architects regarding tenders.
- Participates in site review, tender review, tender hand-off, project closing and operational/sector meetings with the Division Manager, Chief Estimator, Project Manager, and Purchasing as required.
- Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Liaise, consult and communicate with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors, and prepare economic feasibility studies on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Maintain an industry presence to ensure continuity of work now and in the future
- Keep abreast of new technology within the mechanical contracting industry to ensure that all estimates include for the most up to date construction methods & procedures
- Conduct material and equipment purchasing for secured jobs.
- Travel to various sites or clients to undertake the above.
- Motivated to always improve
- Communicates Effectively
- Willingness to Learn
- Customer Focus
- Personal responsibility and accountability
- Positive mental attitude
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Commitment to excellence
Preference will be given to:
- Graduate of Mechanical Engineering program or Construction Technology program with related work experience OR
- Qualified tradesperson in mechanical field with several years’ experience, and previous estimating experience
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 5+ years of experience working as a Mechanical Estimator on ICI projects of a $5M value or higher
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Advanced knowledge and understanding of:
- Motivated and able to work with deadlines
- Contract management
- Construction scheduling, planning, and execution
- Ability to interpret mechanical drawings
- Trade fluency (plumbing, hydronic, HVAC)
- Organization and time management
- Self-driven leadership abilities
- P.Eng. or CET would be considered an asset
- Project management experience is an asset
Advanced user of:
- MS applications (Word, Excel, and Projects).
- Autobid Mechanical (QuickPen)
- Accubid Change Order Pro
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.