BUILD YOUR CAREER AT BLACK & MCDONALD
With a solid foundation, anything is possible. Building something from nothing is in your blood, and it’s in ours too. It’s why we choose to do meaningful work that transforms the world we live in. Like you, we can’t wait to get our hands on exciting, diverse projects that make a difference in our communities. We’re constantly growing (it’s kind of our thing) and we depend on every member of our talented teams to get us even further. You can depend on steady, long-term access to high-quality projects across Canada, the U.S. and beyond. At Black & McDonald, we strive to provide our people with endless opportunities to learn, grow and leave their mark on an exciting industry.
ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Southwest Ontario team is growing! If you are an independent, enthusiastic, and driven professional searching for an opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The HVAC Journeyman is located in Hamilton, Ontario and requires travel to surrounding areas.
The HVAC Journeyman Technician is primarily responsible for the efficient operations and maintenance to a variety of HVAC equipment. The position includes, but is not limited to, installation, identifying the cause of malfunctioning parts/equipment, repair, inspection, etc. Working directly with customers to ensure they are completely satisfied with the work required.
- Maintain and service chillers, heat pumps, steam boilers, air handling units, fans, humidifiers, pumps, VAV boxes, motors, refrigerators and freezers
- Monitor, troubleshoot, replace, calibrate and program HVAC control
- Replace filters and belts
- Update documentation (drawings, specifications, O&M manuals, etc.) related to HVAC services.
- Install new services in renovation or building changes as determined by the Manager.
- Recommends the ordering of HVAC supplies.
- Respond to environment comfort complaints.
- Perform log readings.
- Installation of wall and ceiling mounted accessories.
- Complete preventive and demand maintenance tasks; enter maintenance records on work orders
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Ability to learn quickly and steadily
- Successful completion of a recognized HVAC and/or refrigeration certificate. Must be a Journeyperson.
- Must have a valid G1 gas license
- Working knowledge of building services including air conditioning, refrigeration and electrical and mechanical equipment controls and systems.
- Full understanding of the building automation system HVAC control strategies.
- Work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations including but not limited to: use or wear of equipment or protective devices or clothing for safety purposes, report any known contravention of this Act or regulations or the existence of any hazards.
- Bending and Lifting Required; Lifting under 30 kgs.
- Must be able to work on ladder or scaffold at various heights.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail with ability to read and interpret blueprints, plans, and manuals.
- Excellent customer service skills with desire to exceed customer expectations.
- A team player, committed to working in a quality environment.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures and adhere to company standards.
Proficient user of:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- JD Edwards or an Oracle-based ERP system
- DSI platform
- Willing and able to travel
- Valid G driver’s license
- Vulnerable sector police check