POWERLINE TECHNICIAN JOURNEYPERSON / LINESPERSON (NOC/TEER 72203 – Electrical Power Line and Cable Workers)
BUILD YOUR CAREER AT BLACK & MCDONALD
Black & McDonald is an integrated, multi‑trade service provider that safely delivers high quality construction, facilities management, and technical solutions. We are a family-owned and family-run company that employs thousands of highly skilled and talented professionals across North America. With 100 years of diverse market experience, we are a forward‑thinking organization with a strong track record of delivering operational excellence and customer-focused solutions that stand the test of time.
ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
This position typically reports directly to the Site Foreman. Their primary focus is high-voltage powerline work, with other tasks as assigned. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Safely perform all associated tasks with the construction, maintenance and restoration of overhead lines
- Live line work
will be required from insulated aerial devices.
- High-voltage powerline project work
- Work with the crew on other tasks such as assisting in setting pole bases, framing poles and overhead equipment, operation of RBD (Radial Boom Derrick), switching activities, rubber glove applications, etc.
- There may be some underground cable pulling / splicing but most work will be overhead.
- Working at heights is required an insulated aerial device.
Company Operating Name:
Black and McDonald Ltd
31 Pullman Court
Scarborough, ON, M1X 1E4
- Various sites throughout Southern Ontario
- Work beginning in March 2023
- Anticipated end date March 2026, with possibility of extension
WAGE AND COMPENSATION DETAILS
- Relocation assistance and living out allowance ($140 / day) is provided for non-local applicants
- Regular rate of pay: $48.76 per hour as per the collective agreement. May include incremental rasises.
- 12% for vacation/holiday pay, 3% for RRSP, $9.04 / hour pension, as per the collective agreement.
- 40 hours/week; currently structured as 10 hour / day, 4 days / week
- Shift work could be required, subject to terms in collective agreement
- Overtime rate (2x) paid as per collective agreement for when OT rate applies each day / week
- Initial enrolment in IBEW is required. For new members, there is a probation period. Once probation is completed, they gain eligibility for Health, dental, and pension plan as per collective agreement
- Powerline Technician post-secondary, or equivalent experience that results in Journeyperson Linesperson qualification.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 5 years’ work experience in overhead powerlines
- Must have Journeyperson Lineperson certification (trade license to be validated prior to hire on)
- Meet all eligibility requirements to join IBEW successfully (in good standing with existing union, and/or able to pay initiation fee for IBEW
CERTIFICATIONS, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Must have Radial Boom Derrick (RBD) Operating Ticket
- Must have Valid Class 5 (or above) Driver’s License with Q (Air Brakes) status (equivalent to an Ontario AZ license)
- Must have a clean 3 year driver’s abstract
- Must have training in Fall Protection, Working at Heights and CSTS
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.