ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald is currently seeking an intermediate/senior level Building Operator to join our Vancouver team! If you are a hands-on, customer service-oriented, and technically-inclined professional searching for the opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The Building Operator is located in Vancouver and will report directly to the Facilities Management and Operations (FMO) Supervisor.
Under specific direction from the FMO Supervisor, the Building Operator will perform preventive maintenance inspections on mechanical, electrical and automatic temperature control equipment using results-oriented strategies to ensure continuing operations. The position also requires compliance with Black & McDonald codes of conduct, health, safety and environmental policies and safe work practices along with any client specific protocol.
- Respond to environment/comfort complaints
- Perform shift tours and log readings
- Perform start up/shut down of major building equipment
- Perform water treatment duties
- Perform diesel, fire alarm, life safety tests
- Perform filter and belt changes
- Perform minor repairs including: replacement of washers, faucets, sinks, clear toilets and drains, cleaning grease traps and sumps, re-pack valves, replace lamps, reset breakers
- Other duties as assigned
- Communicates Effectively
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
4th or 5th class power engineering certification ideally combined with significant building operations experience
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
5-10 years of Building Operator experience in Facilities Management and Operations
5-10 years of experience with Building Automation Systems and HVAC Systems
Experience operating commercial buildings/facilities
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service skills with desire to exceed customer expectations.
- Must be able to speak, read & write in English.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required.
- Follow instructions both written and verbal.
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times with fellow employees and customer.
- Accomplish all duties and tasks as assigned.
- Maintain clear and courteous two way radio and/or phone etiquette.
- A team player, committed to working in a quality environment.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures and adhere to company standards.
- Must be able to work on ladder or scaffold at various heights.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 kg (bending and lifting is required).
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Must be available for occasional On-Call work