ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald is currently seeking an entry level Laborer/Junior Operator to join our Vancouver team! If you are a hands-on, customer service-oriented, and technically-inclined professional searching for the opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. This position is located in Vancouver and will report directly to the Supervisor.
The Laborer/Junior Operator for the Single Room Occupancy (SRO) Sites in the Downtown Eastside (DTES) Vancouver area is responsible for maintaining safe conditions inside and outside of the facilities, performing minor tasks, cleaning, and minor repairs. Under the direction of the Building Operator, Supervisor or Project Manager, this individual will conduct minor mechanical inspections and maintenance of equipment using Facilities Management & Operations processes to ensure optimum operation. For the right individual, this position offers the potential to grow into a Building Operator role.
- In conjunction with the Building Operator, Supervisor/Project Manager and the team, execute responsive and planned maintenance in accordance with the computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
- Respond to Housing Operator requests and complaints.
- Perform basic tours and log reading of equipment, as instructed.
- Assist in the movement of materials to various work areas.
- Assist tradespersons, technicians or sub-contractors as required.
- Establish methods to meet work schedules and co-ordinate work activities with other subcontractors.
- Perform light duties such as cleaning, painting, garbage removal, plumbing and other mechanical duties.
- Direct pedestrian traffic when assisting with building exterior work & building washing.
- Assist in purchasing parts and materials when requested.
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Values and Respects Others
- High School completion would be an asset.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 1-3 years’ experience as a general Labourer would be considered an asset.
- 1-3 years’ experience working within commercial buildings/facilities or in construction would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of working in the DTES location with 1-3 years social housing experience may be an asset.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instruction.
- Must be a team player, work well with others.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times with fellow employees and customer.
- Must be comfortable working within the DTES environment.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures and adhere to company standards.
- Must be available for occasional Emergency after hours duties.
- Available to travel within the DTES.
We welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.