ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s BC team is growing! If you are a hands-on, customer service-oriented, and technically-inclined professional searching for the opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The 3rd Class Shift/Day Engineer is located at the Kelowna General Hospital in Kelowna, BC.
The 3rd Class Shift/Day Engineer at the Kelowna General Hospital site is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the physical plant/building site. They will monitor plant boiler operation, make adjustments as required and investigate and resolve complex problems related to HVAC and mechanical systems.
- Completes repairs and maintenance on boilers and equipment in the plant and mechanical areas of the hospital
- Work with maintenance staff to complete daily tasks
- Update operational procedures to maintain system efficiency
- Ensures availability of supplies for maintenance of system equipment
- Diagnose trouble calls and develop appropriate action to be taken
- When assigned, responsible for overseeing general housekeeping of the building area
- Ensure a safe working environment and adhere to all relevant health, safety and environmental policies and procedures by all stakeholders
- Ensure all work areas are maintained in a clean and safe working condition
- Regularly communicate health, safety and environmental issues or concerns to the Senior Building Operator or other relevant B&M staff
- Ensure “Toolbox Talks” and other related information is clearly understood and effectively communicated to the relevant parties
- Ensure standard operating procedures, planned maintenance activities and any other relevant guidelines are maintained, stored correctly and strictly adhered to with suggestions offered to update as appropriate
- Ensure the correct and legible completion at all times of any required documentation including timesheets or software based systems
- Respond to demand and emergency issues promptly, utilizing the computerized building automation system or manual systems where appropriate
- Perform shift tours, record and log the relevant information and report any concerns to the appropriate personnel, fully investigating any issues that arise as required
- Perform routine inspections and tests on building fire and life safety equipment.
- Provide the necessary support to allow scheduled maintenance and repairs to be carried out on such equipment
- Perform routine inspection, maintenance and repairs to all assets and any other related equipment
- Configuration of plant and systems to allow maintenance work to be completed as required
- Complete water treatment duties on boilers, cooling towers, heating and cooling loops
- Start up and shut down major building equipment such as boilers, chillers, pumps, cooling towers, etc.
- Communicates Effectively
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Ticketed 3rd Class Power Engineer
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 3-5 Years’ experience in operation and maintenance of a 3rd class plant or greater (preferably 2nd class)
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to work on a rotational 12-hour shift schedule as required
- Must be able to speak, read & write in English
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required
- Ability to follow instructions both written and verbal
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor at all times with fellow employees and customers
- Maintain clear and courteous two way radio and/or phone etiquette
- Must be a team player, committed to working in a quality environment
- Capable of effectively representing Black and McDonald to our customers
- Must have a working knowledge of computers, control systems and electrical protection devices
- Must comply with all company policies and procedures and adhere to company standards
- Must be able to work in confined spaces
- Must be able to lift up to 30 kg (bending and lifting is required)
Due to the mandatory vaccination requirements at Kelowna General Hospital, to ensure compliance with our clients’ mandates, the successful candidate will be required to validate full vaccination prior to hire.
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.