ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Western Utilities team is growing! If you are a committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
This is a beginner to intermediate HSE role and will report directly to the Operations Manager in Winnipeg, MB. As the Safety Advisor, you will oversee assigned workplaces and ensure compliance with company and client safety requirements, as well as all government policies, procedures, acts and regulations in the area of occupational health and safety. You will also evaluate and monitor health and safety hazards and control risks in the workplace.
The ideal candidate is able to demonstrate leadership and drive a strong safety culture. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Providing strong HS&E leadership, guidance, and support to assigned workplaces within Winnipeg and the greater Winnipeg area
- Assisting and supporting the Regional HSE Manager in the development and implementation of corporate policies and procedures, and in accordance with Black & McDonald and regulatory requirements
- Conducting inspections (as required) of job sites, facilities, and equipment for compliance with general and specific safety standards; following-up on any non-compliance issues and taking appropriate action to remedy it
- Conducting audits of subcontractor safety management systems, loss control programs, and non-compliance issues; preparing reports and making recommendations for changes as necessary
- Supporting the implementation of the Certificate of Recognition Program (COR) for the Manitoba Region
- Sharing feedback, observations and reporting details related to regional HS&E achievements and opportunities with regional managers and people leaders
- Overseeing and/or participating in incident investigation and reviews
- Development of Job Plan
- Supporting modified duty programs, as required
- Ensuring emergency response plans are in place and aligned with local regulatory, regional, divisional and corporate requirements
- Participating in regional planning
- Maintaining current knowledge of industry trends and practices in the area of health, safety and environment
- Conducting and supporting the annual Safety Management System Audit
- Change Orientation
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem-Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- A diploma or certification in Occupational Health & Safety and Environment
- Certified Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) or Certified Health and Safety Consultant (CHSC) would be considered an asset.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 2 years of HSE work experience within the construction industry
- Experience in the utilities construction sector as a Safety Advisor
- Working knowledge of provincial and local safety and environmental regulations and programs
- COR Safety Auditor Qualification
- Basis of Supervising
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including strong report writing skills
- Microsoft Office, computer literacy (word, excel, power point)
- Ability to facilitate programs and present to all levels of employees that include trades employees, office staff and management
- Position is mainly based in Winnipeg but minimal travel is to be expected. A clean driver’s abstract is required for this position.
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.