ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Southwest Ontario team is growing! If you are an independent, enthusiastic, and driven professional searching for an opportunity to build a solid foundation for your career, this position is for you. The HVAC Apprentice is located in Sarnia, Ontario and requires travel to surrounding areas.
The HVAC Apprentice Technician is primarily responsible for the efficient operations and maintenance to a variety of HVAC equipment. The position includes, but is not limited to, installation, identifying the cause of malfunctioning parts/equipment, repair, inspection, etc. Working directly with customers to ensure they are completely satisfied with the work required.
- Maintain and service chillers, heat pumps, steam boilers, air handling units, fans, humidifiers, pumps, VAV boxes, motors, refrigerators and freezers
- Monitor, troubleshoot, replace, calibrate and program HVAC control
- Replace filters and belts
- Update documentation (drawings, specifications, O&M manuals, etc.) related to HVAC services.
- Install new services in renovation or building changes as determined by the Manager.
- Recommends the ordering of HVAC supplies.
- Respond to environment comfort complaints.
- Perform log readings.
- Installation of wall and ceiling mounted accessories.
- Complete preventive and demand maintenance tasks; enter maintenance records on work orders
- Work in compliance with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations including but not limited to: use or wear of equipment or protective devices or clothing for safety purposes, report any known contravention of this Act or regulations or the existence of any hazards.
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Must be a registered Apprentice Year 3 or above.
- Must have a valid G2 gas license
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Working knowledge of building services including air conditioning, refrigeration and electrical and mechanical equipment controls and systems.
- Full understanding of the building automation system HVAC control strategies.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail with ability to read and interpret blueprints, plans, and manuals.
- Excellent customer service skills with desire to exceed customer expectations.
- A team player, committed to working in a quality environment.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures and adhere to company standards.
- Bending and Lifting Required; Lifting under 30 kgs.
- Must be able to work on ladder or scaffold at various heights.
Proficient user of:
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- JD Edwards or an Oracle-based ERP system
- DSI platform
- Willing and able to travel
- Valid G driver’s license
- Police check