ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Black & McDonald’s Utilities team is growing! If you are committed and collaborative professional looking to contribute to a hard-working, innovative team, this opportunity is for you.
The Director of Utilities Operations is responsible for ensuring successful performance and operational execution at the regional level. This includes monitoring and reporting on overall business process compliance, project financials, and strategies with respect to execution of utility based projects at the regional level. Reporting directly to the Regional Vice President, the Director of Utility Operations will provide the necessary level of operational oversight and technical direction in the successful management of large, complex, design build utility based projects as well as many small and/or medium sized projects through subordinate managers and supervisors.
- Support and provide guidance to Divisional Management in the advancement of all Safety initiatives by providing strong support to Black & McDonald Ltd. Safety Programs at all levels in the organization.
- Keeping the Vice President informed of operational and project activities within the region including ongoing and individual project updates with respect to financials, scheduling, work in progress, forecasting, budgets, compliance, scope changes, procurement strategies, labour requirements, etc.
- Manages and ensures overall field performance and provides appropriate solutions and guidance where performance is not meeting expectations.
- Participate in bid analysis with project stakeholders
- Provides stakeholders with status updates of ongoing work through regular contact including monthly Job Reviews
- Participates in the development of regional operating budgets by coordinating with Divisional Management and reviewing with the Regional Vice President.
- Ensures all company, client and project policies, procedures, standards, etc., are adhered to
- Participates in Divisional and Regional Scorecard Reviews to evaluate key metric performance and the development of improvement strategies
- Participate in regional and divisional strategic planning ensuring strong compliance and alignment with corporate execution and business strategy
- Assist with implementation/interpretation of safety programs
- Ensure compliance with Black & McDonald Ltd. Project Management Methodology across all utility based projects
- Support Divisional Management and others towards promotion of individual and professional growth acting as a mentor
- Change Orientation
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others
- Coaches and Develops
- Maximizes Business Performance and Team Effectiveness
- Strategic Perspective
Undergraduate Degree in related engineering, business or construction disciplines or equivalent experience.
The following certifications/designations are considered an asset
- PMP designation
- Gold Seal Certification
- P.Eng or CET Certification
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- 10 years’ experience with a multi-trade contractor in the construction sector, ideally in Utilities
- Proven performance in managing a business or large operational business unit
- Must have a strong proven track record of business and operational management, project performance, project profitability and employee development.
- Very strong preference for candidates who have self-performing utility construction experience, with a strong background in utility based construction projects (i.e. transportation, high voltage / substations, civil, etc.)
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Contract management
- Construction scheduling, planning, and execution
- Blue print reading
- Project structural design interpretation
- Financial statements – read and comprehend
- Established utilities practices, procedures and techniques
- Applicable local and provincial labour codes
- Managing / leading union and non-union staff
- Business operations processes
- Organization and time management
- Willing and able to travel to project sites within Canada and sometimes the United States as necessary
- Maintain a valid driver’s license
- Must obtain and maintain necessary security clearances based on project requirements
Black & McDonald welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.