People: Our Strength, Our Future
A career at Black & McDonald will grant you the opportunity to contribute to our culture of continuous improvement, help reinforce our values and shape our contribution to community, and drive our continued success. Our vision is to be the best company to work for; the best company for safety, quality and value; the best company for customer service; and the best company for technical expertise.
Black & McDonald is actively seeking a Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) Manager to work in support of a Black and McDonald affiliated entity within the GTA. The successful candidate will evaluate and monitor HSE hazards and recommend control measures in the workplace. They are responsible to oversee assigned workplace(s) to ensure compliance with company, client, and government policies, procedures, acts and regulations. This position will demonstrate leadership in order to drive safety as a core value.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Follow all company policies and procedures.
- Ensure employees only perform tasks and or use equipment for which they have received training.
- Recognize unsafe work practices, and intervene accordingly.
- Ensure, on behalf of the Company, that all required site HSE policies and procedure are adhered to, and proper personnel are in place to complete the Project.
- Take corrective acton where required to ensure safety for all and protection of the environment.
- Assess specific HSE risks and defines the HSE plans, standards, procedures, metrics and accountability systems.
- Execute Projects in accordance with Company Corporate Policy.
- Communicate with the client on a daily basis and represent the company in a professional manner.
- Ensure compliance with legal and other requirements.
- Promote a culture of safety excellence.
- Develop and implement HSE programs.
- Support modified duty programs
- Maintain current knowledge of industry trends and practices regarding health, safety and environment
- Act as a conduit between management and staff.
- Direct HSE Leads, Advisors & Administrative staff.
- In charge of:
- Hazard identification and control
- Training requirements
- 7 years+ experience in a Safety Management lead role in an Industrial Construction, site-based project.
- HSE Certificate or Certified Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP).
- Construction Safety Training Systems (CSTS).
- Experience in the industrial construction industry.
- Possess a strong knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act code and legislations.
- Proficient in Microsoft basic suite of programs (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with team members and stakeholders.
- Strong Organizational and leadership skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
- Working knowledge of related legislation and the ability to interpret regulations and laws is an asset.
- Ability to work in a team environment with great attention to detail.
- Capactity to problem solve and thrive in high pressure situations.
- Ability to influence staff at various levels to promote loss prevention.
- Valid class 5 drivers' license (with clean abstract)
Certifications not required, but considered an asset:
- H2S Alive
- First Aid
- Fall Protection
- Aerial Work Platform (AWP)
- Confined Space
Competency Requirements (Strategic Leader Level)
- Change Management
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Strategic Perspective
- Maximizes Team Effectiveness
- Maximizes Business Performance
- Coaches & Develops
- Personnel Management
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Values and Respects Others